This app packages Synapse
This package only provides the Matrix backend. A variety of clients are available
here. Riot is a popular web frontend for Matrix and
is available as a separate app.
Matrix is an ambitious new ecosystem for open federated Instant Messaging and VoIP.
Matrix specifies a set of pragmatic RESTful HTTP JSON APIs as an open standard, which handle:
- Creating and managing fully distributed chat rooms with no single points of control or failure
- Eventually-consistent cryptographically secure synchronisation of room state across a global open network of federated servers and services
- Sending and receiving extensible messages in a room with (optional) end-to-end encryption
- Inviting, joining, leaving, kicking, banning room members
- Managing user accounts (registration, login, logout)
- Using 3rd Party IDs (3PIDs) such as email addresses, phone numbers, Facebook accounts to authenticate, identify and discover users on Matrix.
- Placing 1:1 VoIP and Video calls
Synapse is a reference “homeserver” implementation of Matrix from the core development
team at matrix.org, written in Python/Twisted.